Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

The Perpetual Student

This past week (since the 1st of the year) I signed up with My Lead Systems Pro and Magnetic Marketing training programs and purchased as much of the training materials as I could. As I was reading through the books and listening/looking at the DVD's and downloads, I had a "duh!" moment.

I realized that much of what was being said are things I have been intuitively doing with my dog training at work. As a relatively new trainer using the Lure and Reward method, I realized early that nobody was going to purchase seats in my classes if they didn't think I knew what I was talking about. While it went against what I was told to do, I started giving out free advice and tips to customers on the side, stuff they would have had to pay for normally. As I gained a reputation for knowing what the heck I was talking about, and giving great advice that the customers were able to take home and use, I found that more people signed up for my classes without me having to "sell" them a class. They just started coming in and asking how to sign up. This has been especially true this holiday season, with lots of folks getting new puppies.

I got so really excited that I understood what Mike Dillard and the other gurus were saying. I even asked myself why I had spent money on training, when it was obvious I had a pretty good grasp on the concepts without ever having read any material of this type before.

The answer actually has two parts: (1) Just because I thought I understood the concept, didn't mean I could apply it effectively to an online format. I understood the why, but not the how. (2) As a college student and thinker, my motto has ALWAYS been that "No matter how much you think you know, there is still more to be learned. There is always someone out there who knows more than you do and you should never be too proud to be their student. Listening = Learning = Growing = Living."

No comments:

Post a Comment